Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Yuan Meng Yuan 园明园



This is one of the tourist spots that I missed out in BJ. So I took this opportunity to visit on the 5th April (Thursday) by myself. I took a public bus (number 834) from my apartment directly to YMY. This is a huge garden built during the Ming and continued in Qing dynasty. The architecture was marvelous and grand. The pillar and arch was carved with european design. There are many water features and fountains at the garden area surrounding the main palace. Xiyanglou is the first replica of European style garden consisting of 10 western style palaces and yards. One can imagine the nobel status and luxury that indulged by the owner and the guests that were invited for any parties hosted before. However YMY was looted and burnt down to the ground in 1860 by the Anglo-French forces consist of 8 countries including UK, Germany, France, Italy..... Today we only see the remnants of stone buildings as a reminder of the national tragedy. Next to YMY is the famous Tchinghwa University. I took a stroll down this university just to feel the undergraduate days again. How nice if I can turn back the clock and go through my school again. I am sure I can do better than before.

No comments: