Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Last working day in China

As tomorrow will be my last working day in BJ, I have to return this PC, mobile phone and office badge. That will mark the end of my one year & one month stint in China. It is hard to believe that time flies at the speed where I thought as if I just came on-board few weeks ago. Even though it is just a one year stay, the sequence of change and happenings in this company is really exciting, especially so in the last 3 months. It was like going through war with lots of casualties all over, some staff were laid-off officially, some disappeared (killed) in silence, some have a sudden change of roles or department. For those remains at their current position were working in fear, the fear for the unknown, as everyone does not know what is next, who will be next and how the company is going to proceed. For me, when I was told that my contract will not be renewed and I have to leave as soon as possible. It was a shocking moment for me but I thought there is no turning back. I reacted promptly by moving my belongings hurriedly and plan to fly back within few days. When I informed my boss who was away for business trip at that time, about my return plan. He stopped me and requested to extend my stay for one more week. He fought hard to keep me by asking other department to absorb me. He was confident and sounded positive. However the waiting time is killing me softly. I have decided to go. I really appreciate what he has done for me, but I thought it was a little too late as I have moved and shipped all my belongings. I am left with 2 working shirts, 2 T-shirts, 2 pants, 1 shorts and that’s it. It was hilarious. Finally a farewell dinner has been arranged for me this Friday and so that confirms the end of my career in BJ. It was indeed a different kind of experience for me in the process. It was another lesson learnt.

No comments: