Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Chinese Language Differences



Only when I arrived Beijing did I realize that there are some differences in Singapore mandarin and Beijing mandarin. In order to reduce cultural and language shock for new comers, I have summarized some of them as follows.



English, In Singapore, In China

1) Potato , 马铃薯 , 土豆
2) Taxi Driver, 司机 , 师傅
3) What,s the matter, 有什甚事?,有啥事?
4) Spoon , 汤匙 , 勺子
5) Pineapple, 黄梨 , 坡罗
6) Air conditioner, 冷气机, 空调
7) Many times, 很多次, N多次
8) Let's go out , 我们出去, 咱们出去
9)Friends ! 朋友们 , 同志们
10) Wife/ Husband, 老婆/老公 , 爱人
11) Tax , 德士车 , 出租车
12) Bicycle , 脚车 , 自行车
13) Public Bus, 巴士车 , 公交车
14) Turn left/ right, 左转/右转 , /右拐
15) Brothers, 兄弟们,哥儿门
16) Muscular , 威风,爷们儿
17) capable, 很行,很牛
18) Police station, 警察署,派出所
19) U-Turn sign, 转回头,吊头转
20) Circle Junction, 交通圈,环岛转盘
21) Small Estate,小市镇,
22) Use strength, 用力,使劲儿
23) Heavy, 很重,很沉
24) Hurry, 快一点,赶紧
25) Helpless, 无奈,纳闷儿
26) blanket, 盖被,毛毯
27) one night, 一晚,一宿
28) standard, 标准,规范
29) gone case, 没办法,没哲
Technical Term

1) metal stamping: 冲压
2) machinery: 车间,车床
3) spray painting: 喷漆, 喷涂
4) electro coating: 电镀
5) rubber molding: 橡胶注朔

There are some other vulgar words that my taxi driver has taught me. But since I could not find the characters in the Chinese dictionary, it is omitted here.

Note: This section will be updated regularly as I come along and discover more differences.

No comments: